apassionforwhitetail.forumotion.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

apassionforwhitetail.forumotion.net

A place to talk about deer and deer Hunting and all the gear that goes with it.

HomeHome  Badlands GearBadlands Gear  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Gnarly Buck Night Cruising
Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 7:29 am by Tracer

» will try this again lol
Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 6:53 am by steve

» Nice Size Rub Work
Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2023 2:13 pm by Tracer

» Last preparation for Bow Opener
Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2023 2:03 pm by Tracer

» Steve wins again
Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2023 6:43 am by Tracer

» Assorted Wildlife
Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2023 10:48 am by steve

» Happy Birthday armyhunter
Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2023 3:18 pm by Tracer

» Happy Birthday Redneck Plumber
Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2023 8:21 pm by Tracer

» Happy Birthday 4ST EYES
Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2023 12:28 pm by Tracer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Bear hunting?

Go down 
+4
4ST EYES
rick
Final
Swamp buck
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Swamp buck
Admin
Swamp buck

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:23 pm

Who will be bear hunting this year?

I'm off to Bracebridge for a couple of days in mid September and hope to score on my second....mmmm tasty bear meat.
Back to top Go down
Final
Admin
Final

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 5:24 am

It will depend on a few things, where I am when the season is on, if anyone is close enough to me that would want the meat. I am not too fond of bear meat, I have yet to butcher my own. By this I mean that some people do not field dress their animals proper or soon enough and also the butchering can be below my standard, which I can admit is set very high.These are the samples of bear that have been given to me from guys that I found out from talks later that they practis bad habits when it comes to downed animal care. I have been reluctant to kill one for meat, because if I shot one then still did not like it, then had no where for the rest to go, I would feel bad to have waisted the animal for no good reason.
Back to top Go down
rick

rick

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 3:34 pm

August 15th will see Louise, Erica, Kelly and myself back in the stands....hoping for 4 but two will be a huge success....all on film, makes it interesting
Back to top Go down
http://www.justushunting.com
4ST EYES
Admin
4ST EYES

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Never hunted bear but did hit one on the paw with the back of a hatchet. She was trying to come up the rock where she chased myself and my partner. She decided then that she had better go back to her cubs. Guess the smell was getting to her. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tracer
Admin
Tracer

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 8:25 pm

I will be back at it in Sept. trying to tag my first one.
Back to top Go down
http://whitetailscrossing.com
perrysbirds

perrysbirds

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Swamp buck wrote:
Who will be bear hunting this year?

I'm off to Bracebridge for a couple of days in mid September and hope to score on my second....mmmm tasty bear meat.

Lots of bears in Bracebridge...I know that for a fact...
Back to top Go down
bowhunter-57

bowhunter-57

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 8:35 pm

l've just got back from a great hunt,5 guys, 4days and saw 14 bears,we managed to get 3 down,
here is a video of one of the ones l got.
http://insanearchery.com/videos.html
Back to top Go down
Tracer
Admin
Tracer

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Nice shot, congrats. Cool vid. too.
Back to top Go down
Final
Admin
Final

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 6:04 am

Nice shot, congrats on the bear.
Back to top Go down
rick

rick

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 pm

good going Phil
Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.justushunting.com
Swamp buck
Admin
Swamp buck

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 7:46 pm

Never did go to Bracebridge as I had hoped... too busy at work that time of year. I'm now trying to figure out where I'm gonna go this year. Can't drive anything more that 4 hours as I only have a few days to spare for hunting bear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Final
Admin
Final

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 3:52 am

How far are you from the Highlands? we have lots of bears here as well. Send me a pm if you are interested in this area.
Back to top Go down
Bushwalker

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:28 am

Most of the Hunters I have talked with in the past have the same thoughts, Bear meat tastes like pork, even looks like pork, but ir is a bit more stringy. Bear meat must be taken care of immediately after tagging, cleaned and cooled. If in the field, don't wash with water, use paper towels or clean rags to wipe out the body cavity, Using water that is not clean or cool will cause the meat to sour overnight. I'm not a dedicated bear hunter as I have been in the past, if I want some bear meat, I will hunt one myself to ensure it is properly taken care of. The meat must be kept clean and cool. I'm not saying that you do not take care of your meat, but I prefer to have meat that I have looked after, I have seen too many carcasses in the past not taken care of.
This is a good year if someone is looking for the experience to hunt bear, but if you don't want the meat, don't shoot one unless it is a necessity for protection of life or property. It is an offence to allow bear meat to waste.
In the area of WMU 28, there are numerous bears around. The easiest method is to talk with the farmers in the Englehart, Earlton,BelleVallee and New Liskeard area. If the farmer still has standing grain in their fields, this is the place to hunt, but you require farmer's permission to hunt on their property. One bear can destroy u8p to 10 acres of grain in one night. A bear will lay down in the grain and kick himself forward or sideways using his front paws to pull the grain heads towards his open mouth, like a combine. One field may have as many as 15 bears in it. Talk to the farmer and he can help you set up where you need tohunt and get a good shot. When you are hunting bear in the field, you require a whisle with a pea in it. When along the edge of the field you are hunting, blow your whisle loud for about four or five seconds at a time and take a look what happens, bears will stand up and look arround. Take your pick and you do the rest. I have done this on many occasions and have as many as 12 bears stand up in the field.
Good hunting.
Back to top Go down
Tracer
Admin
Tracer

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:54 pm

How are you Bushwalker? Great tips, thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
4ST EYES
Admin
4ST EYES

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Hey Bushwacker, it's been a long time sinse I have heard from you. Hope you are well. Good hunting and fishing!!!
Back to top Go down
Bushwalker

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi Guys, I'm taking one day at a time and waiting to see what the future brings. It's nice when someone recognizes you and says "Hello". I visit the sight when I'm not busy. I'm Deer hunting at my sister's again on St. Joseph's Island, this year between my boys and daughter we have three Doe tags. This will probably be my last year for deer hunting, but like I said I take it one day at a time. I have been forwarding some of the email I receive to Final. One thing I have to say, you may already know this, but Elk are on the Island around the Northwest corner. You guys take care and I'll talk to you later.
Back to top Go down
Tracer
Admin
Tracer

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Good luck on the deer hunts.
Back to top Go down
Bushwalker

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Big Bear   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 11:08 am

Hi Guys, I maded a posting yesterday but for some reason it never showed up on the forum. This is to let you know that I have seen a Black Bear well over 600 pounds, the exact weight is not known due to the scales used. The Bear stood over 7 feet tall on it's hind legs., This Bear was shot at Golden Eagle Hunting Lodge between Elk Lake and Matachewan, another Black Bear was shot the same evening that weighed just over 300 pounds and it looked like dwarf beside the Big Fella. This is the 3rd Large Black Bear I've seen in 0ver 50 years in this area. The first one was in Thackeray Township, east of Matheson in 1963, this Bear was raiding the Logging Camp meat house and shot by the Bush Foreman. It weighed 648 pounds, it looked like a 45 gallon drum with legs on it. The other Large Black Bear was hit by a transport on Highway 11 near Kapuskasing in 1993 or 94. The average size Bear around here seem to run around 300 to 400 pounds with the odd exception. There has been some smaller ones as well. I have 2 photos of this Big Bear but I have forgotten how to post them. So if anyone is looking for a Black Bear Hunt - Check out Golden Eagle Hunting Lodge for Bear and Moose as well as good fishing. Take care  and I'll talk to you later.

Bear hunting? 600_pd10

Bear hunting? Ontari10
Back to top Go down
Tracer
Admin
Tracer

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Wow, that is one amazing beast. Thanks for sharing the story and it's great to hear from you. I sent you an email to forward the bear pics to me so I can post them here for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bear hunting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bear hunting?   Bear hunting? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bear hunting?
Page 1 of 1